Monday, July 31, 2006

Turning a corner today?

Today has been a very long and very exciting day. I met with my attending's resident today and he had some news. Apparently I was going to undergo a follow up CT scan to confirm that whatever minor problem came up with the MRI last week had gone away. Also, he repeated what trish said the day before: my original, botched LP may have been messed up so badly they didn't get enough fluid for the test. Hence, all the pain I'd been through all week was worthless.
A little later, Dr. Wetzler (my new attending) came into examine me. He said I would get a cat scan today, and unless there was something weird in it, he would forego the LP. He said that for some reason there was something about me that made for a difficult puncture.
That's when I let him have it. Nice guy, but he wasn't about to blame me for all this. I told him, look. The first time I had a spinal tap back home in Binghamton, the attending brought in a neurologist, and the whole procedure took about 10 minutes. My attending in bingo did this because, even though he could have completed the procedure, he wanted to go as smoothly as possible. Now when I came to roswell, for whatever Reason Dr. Wang permitted her "fellow" to attempt the procedure. He sure as hell didn't know what he was doing, as finally after a half-hour of poking, he hadn't been able to get in and Dr. Wang had to (apparently unsucessfully) finish the procedure. I was getting to resent feeling like this student's guinea pig. The problem, it seems to me, wasn't me. The problem, I said, was with letting this fellow attempt a procedure he wasn't capable of/wasn't ready for or whatever.
That certainly got Dr. Wetzlar's attention. He repeated that the LP probably wouldn't be necessary, that they were doing the CAT scan as a follow-up, and if the scan was clear they wouldn't do an LP. He added that I would be VERY well taken care of if a new LP was required.
It was apparently very busy down in radiology today. I spent most of the afternoon sleeping, getting new platelets and waiting for a spot to open up in the cat scan area. Finally one opened, and I was whisked pole and all down to the basement for the scan. It was rather anticlimactic. About 20 minutes and 3 pathetic little scans later I was back upstairs on 5E, my unit.
Didn't see Dr. Wetzlar again, but the asian Nurse Practitioner came in and said everything was cool with the scan, and I was still on track for the original study schedule. This is great. I can expect very possibly to be discharged next week by that rationale.
As I was eating dinner a little bit later, Dr Minood from the bone marrow team came in. He asked if I had heard the preliminary news about the blood donor search. Apparently there are 42 likely matches for me, which means two things: the odds of my finding an exact match are almost certain, and because there is such a good chance of finding a donor I will likely qualify for a grant to pay for all or nearly all of the donor search costs. Don't know if I'll even need a bone marrow transplant, but it's really nice to know the likelihood of it making us go bankrupt just got quite a bit lower!
Getting tired but am happy and wanted to share the good news with everyone. This is the best day yet, and I'm feeling good again about my prognosis. My headaches are pretty much gone; I think I will take one more dose tonight of Oxycodon before going to bed, but that's just so I don't wake up with a headache or something in the AM. Hope all of you are doing well, and thanks for reading.

No comments: