Saturday, July 15, 2006

Email sent to friends and family

Hi all!

I'm guessing some of you have been wondering where I am and why I have been unavailable for the past few days. Here's the deal:
I have Acute Lymphocytic Lukemia, T-cell variety. This is a cancer that attacks young white blood cells in my bone marrow. I was originally diagnosed at Wilson Hospital in Johnson city after I first visited the UMA walk-in on Monday. I later went to the Wilson ER and was admitted. After 3 days of testing I was diagnosed by Dr. Khan as having this disease. He reccomended coming to Roswell Cancer Center here in Buffalo as they specialize in this disease. I could have been treated in Binghamton, but he said it would be much more effective for me to be treated here in buffalo, a National Cancer Institute.
Dr. Marie Baer is starting me on intravenous chemotherapy tonight, and it will continue for 3-4 weeks. After chemotherapy is complete I will be in remission. During remission I will continue to undergo chemotherapy on an outpatient basis, but will remain living in buffalo as it is important to be close to the hospital here if there are any complications. I will likely live in a long-term facility for cancer patients and their families called Kevin Guest House, where I will have my own apartment and an assigned caregiver.
Phew. Enough with the fun stuff.
I am feeling great and am very focused on getting the treatment started, getting better and getting on with my life. The staff here is as friendly as they are incredibly competent, and I feel I am in the right place for best outcome. I learned today that I will probably not require a bone marrow transplant, which has further heightened my spirits.
I miss you all already and would love to hear from you. Also, Diane has really been a rock to me and if you can think of any way you could help her I would really appreciate it. My parents will work at the business and I'm sure they could use some help too. Feel free to talk more to me about anything you feel comfortable doing.
Thanks again everyone, and don't worry too much about me. I am in good hands here and will turn out fine, God willing. It would be great if any of you could visit but I understand the distance is a bit of an obstacle. You may reach me by email here and I also have my cell phone (607)725-3910. I am starting a blog and when I have it ready I will advise you all of the location.

My best to you all
Matt Kensey

No comments: