Saturday, July 29, 2006

Fast times at Roswell High

Friday started as good day but turned not so good in a hurry. I had been taking my pain meds consistently, amd by the morning had started to feel like sitting up, doing emails etc. So I did just that. No one had told me to do otherwise. Made it fine through breakfast, fine through lunch, and fine through rounds with Dr Wang. She seemed pleased that I was improving, and Dr. Wang never seems pleasd.
So I continued the afternoon much like the morning: some sitting up, some lying, showering etc. About 2 p.m. My headaches just started to return. So I called for Marima the nurse and she got me more oxycodon. An hour later though, my head regained it's former achy fury. Sigh. So I laid back down, and rested, and of course it went away while I was on my back. Meanwhile, Marima was really encouraging me to walk laps around the unit after seeing how well I did in the AM. So finally, even with the gritty headache, I started to walk with Marima around the unit. Walking was OK, but my head hurt so bad that I had to get back inside and in bed after just one lap. I could barely keep my eyes open.
Marima, concerned, called the doctor. This is when things started to get wierd.
About an hour later, a usually nice nurse practitioner came in, aplogizing that she hadn't gotten my page earlier. Without even questioning me, this formerly unserstanding NP lit into me about how "you need to slow down, and "We don't want you to be walking around the unit. You are really sick; we want you to rest." She basically blamed me for the ongoing headache problems. I pointed out that I hadn't had the problems until the botched-up lumbar puncture, to which she argued was a separate issue. She then said I was right and to report the new symptoms.
How, exactly, should I report problem if when I do I get flak and blame for reporting new symptoms? GRR
So I just wanted that NP to get out of my face. After stewing in my own anger for a few hours, at 6 p.m. Dr Wang showed up at marima's request and asked what heppened. I told her about the new symptoms, and she kind of minimized them saying that "you'r really sick. You need to rest on your back for several days.
Meanwhile DI chimed in, pointed holes in Dr. Wang's cheesy argument that I was at fault, not the mized message nurses and physicians kept giving me for the past 3 days.
Dr. Wang, taken aback, acutally explained what the problem might have been, that I was probably a bit sensitive to the LP, plus my blood counts were almost at thier minimum. The combination of the two, she thought, was the reson for my crappy achy headaches and general phyiscal state. We left it with me promising to rest, seriousy rest, all weekend long, as she finally acknowledged some wrongdoing on her and her staff's part.
My figety, glasses-flicking ass, just wanted to get her the HELL out of my room!

No comments: