Sunday, May 27, 2007

quite a few days

let me run down friday. All has been better since then.
Friday:
9.am: eating breakfast. Resident comes in, Checks me out. Mentions that I had a small fevel overnight, wants a blood culture.
9:10 am: I start to get cold. Shaking. Bad shaking. Shaking so bad I can't stop my legs from shaking. Call nurse in. She pages doctor for drug relief.
9:13 am: Mom walks in. She did great. Didn't pass out or anything!
9:25 am: Nurse (finally) comes in with big syringe. Injects the demerol. Painful shaking stops. Epsiode over. Scary as hell!

As it turns out I had a blood infection. Some sort of staph infection, particular to hospitals. Great. As if I didn't have enough to worry about, now I get an infection FROM the hospital. Not cool.
The whole scene repeated itself about 6 hours later, dispite a different IV antibiotic. Same shakes, same nurse, same demerol, same relief. This time one of the nurse practitioners I knew from the outpatient floors stopped in right during the shakes. That was fun, trying to make conversation with her

5:30 p.m. Diane arrives. There is much rejoicing!
7:30 p.m. second dose of high octane antibiotics. No more fever.

And as if it never started, crisis over. No more fever friday. No more fever all weekend.

More to report later.
...............................

No comments: