Monday, May 14, 2007

A fine weekend

Today was a bit of a reality check as Di got up early and made her way home.
We had a fine weekend together. Di showed up friday night and slept here. She had the experience, just like me, of getting up several times during the evening. What a trooper!
Between that and the fold-out bed that looked pretty tough to sleep in, I wonder if she got any sleep at all friday night.
Meanwhile, my treatment was going just as planned. White blood counts continue to drop, those nasty blast counts are dropping too. Today my white count was at 1.0 with a blast percentage of 8! This is the lowest yet, and good news indeed.
Saturday Mom and Dad came to visit. They took turns because jake the dog was waiting in the car. It was nice to see them. Dad was his old self--a bit nervous, like everyone. As hard as it is on me, it's got to be even more difficult for those who are taking care of things in my stead.
Later on saturday I had to have platelets. For some reason, the usual hydrocortizone and benadryl cocktail they gave me didn't jibe with everything else I was taking, because I was a complete basket case for about 9 hours. I could barely keep awake, and when I was awake I was just about unintelligble.
Sunday, Di and I had a nice day. We slept in and Di filled in all my menus for the week. Later that night we sat together and watched a movie, and it was almost like we were home again.Not exactly, but the closest we're going to get for awhile.
And I guess that's the hardest thing about all this, is being separated from my family, from my home, from everyhting I love so much. And right now I don't have a good idea when I'll be getting back there.
So today has been about getting through that worry. I've had a pit in my stomach all morning, and I just don't know how to make it go away. I know I'll get back there, but I wish I had a good idea of when and how. That's what's bugging me today.

No comments: