Saturday, June 02, 2007

Giving the gift of Platelets

My mother-in-law Kathy and her husband Mike visited today; Kathy came specifically to donate platelets.
Diane, of course and thank goodness was here too, so it was quite a busy day in 5E Room 20.
Kathy apparently had quite a time giving platelets. I am told the donation center hooked her up to this big machine, took her blood out, harvested the platelets and returned it to her body. She was hooked up for an hour and 40 minutes, which seems like a long time to be hooked up to anything, unless you're used to chemotherapy and getting blood transfusions. She said the needle hurt quite a bit towards the end, and she had some discomfort in her feet. Other than that and some quivering lips and a bit of a chill, she made it through more or less unscathed. At least that's what she told me.
I am doing better than a week ago. Almost constant antibiotics (2 different kinds three times a day) have made that blood infection retreat. Blood counts haven't come up, and are really low, but we didn't expect them to come up yet either. I will continue on the antibiotics for a few more days however, as there is a prescribed time I must take them. Fine with me...that infection was no fun at all.
Got some weird news about the transplant Wednesday. The donor had to reschedule her workup for Monday...some kind of last minute problem. Made me a little bit nervous, but I understand people's lives can be tricky sometimes. No more changes though! A patient here could do with some solid, predictable news for once.
The latest on a date for my transplant is June 22. Seems like it's almost there now. I'm just focusing on getting there, and then we'll worry about what comes after.
Sorry that I haven't put a post up in a few days. Some nice comments in the meantime. Thanks!

1 comment:

Tam said...

Hey Matt,
You are in our prayers, stay strong. You need to kick some cancer butt! :) Thanks for keeping us updated.