Monday, June 11, 2007

In or out?

Written today after a weekend of A: being told (Friday) I would be able to go home for a few days, then B. finding out that that wasn't allowed (Monday), then being given the option of staying locally but being discharged. A basic disagreement between the BMT team who will be taking over my care friday, and the leukemia team who is charged with keeping me here in the meantime. I didn't start this fiasco, but this is my reaction, written in an email to a good friend who asked what was up:

After all, I'm going to stay here. Apparently it's OK for me to leave and stay locally, but what's the point? The risk of leaving is significant, and if I can't go home, it's just not worth it. If it's too dangerous to go to Vestal, I guess I'll just have to stay. Dr. McCarthy is quite persuasive and he did visit me again this afternoon. I of course offered the quite reasonable (to diane and I) alternative of a day pass --get checked up in the morning, head out and drive around with diane, etc, wearing a mask at all times -- but apparently this is neither realistic nor acceptable to insurance companies. Sigh. He did acceed to me heading off the unit to the lobby/indoor walkways of the hospital wearing a mask, but I'm waiting for confirmation on even that. Someone is supposed to return this afternoon. You're right. The whole pissing contest should have not been revealed to me. A simple conversation with the BMT team last week would have discovered the issue, which frankly they had brought up before, at least Battiwala did. I was well, not perfectly happy, but eager and excited about the transplant last week, and i've had my little cry and my little tantrums and I'm sure by tomorrow I'll feel better. This isn't the first time such a contest has taken place in front of me, and I'm frankly a bit sick of the whole fiasco.

No comments: