Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Radiation, new cells and other musings

Nearly halfway through the total body irradiation I am doing well, I think.
No major pain, nausea or tiredness yet, and the only complaint I have really is some muscle soreness, especially in the jaw and a few other places.
The radiation experience is quite odd. I go down twice daily, once about 8:15 and once about 3:30. Most of the time is spent getting me set up in this uncomfortable barstool/metal frame and getting the lead shields (about the size of a deck of cards) situated in the right place. The machine, a large hulking thing about 15 feet away then buzzes on for 6 or 7 minutes, then I am flipped around and the whole thing starts again, except they flip me around and do it on the other side.
I have 5 more treatments, two tomorrow, two Thursday and and then one one more Friday morning. Hopefully I'll be as energetic and enthusiastic then as I am now.
Which leads me to my new stem cells. They showed up yesterday and are safely frozen here at RPCI. This is the last step in everything being complete and I am so excited to be moving forward.

3 comments:

Ron Kensey said...

So far so good ... and great to hear ..!! How was your weekend?

skaylindsay said...

Hi Matt,
Just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you. Keep up the good work.

Kevin Kensey said...

Great to see things are moving forward. We are all pulling for you. Keep fighting!