Sunday, June 17, 2007

Getting started

The preparation for my bone marrow transplant begain yesterday, with a strong dose of a chemo called cytoxan.
Cytoxan is one of the oldest and strongest chemotherapies around. It is so strong that I am constantly infused with fluids, which has meant many trips to the bathroom, to which I am staying close by. The reason for the fluids it so my kidneys can excrete the stuff out of my body as quickly as possible.
I made it through yesterday's dose with no major problems. Today's dose has been even better. The good news is today marks what could be my last chemotherapy ever. There will be no chemo after Friday's transplant, after today actually.
Tomorrow starts my first dose of total body irradiation. This is is the one where they shoot photons through my body, flip me around and do the the same on the other side. Common side effects are a lot like chemo, except I may be tired and a bit sunburned. This happens twice daily until Friday morning, when I get my last dose. I'll get my cells Friday afternoon.
Tomorrow also is they day my donor gives her cells. They will be flown to buffalo, mixed with a preservative and frozen, then thawed Friday for the big day.
I am ready to get the transplant. I feel good, and am excited that everything is getting started. It feels like for the first time time that each day I am here is one day closer to to the day I get out, and that is something to wake up and work towards every morning.

1 comment:

JD said...

Matt,

GREAT to know things are going well, I've been keeping everyone @ work (Van Cott Jewelers) up to date on your progress. Seems like your spirits are up and you are ready to go with this transplant. GOOD MAN! :-) I could think of better ways to get color, that "been out in the sun to long" look other than radiation treatments (ok..bad attempt @ humor).

We will be thinking about you this week and our prayers, positive energies and thoughts are with you.

Peace guy!

Joe (The Van Cott Guy)