Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Great news

Simply put, my latest bone marrow biopsy has turned out to show no leukemia.
This is the best news we could ask for.
Having no leukemia in my bone marrow, or at least testing negative for it, gives me much improves odds of a successful transplant. That, coupled with my impressive performance results from all accounts, means I am now in more or less the best shape possible going into the transplant procedure.
It makes the month I've been in the hospital completely worthwhile.
The process starts Friday, with a family meeting convening the BMT team, Diane, mom and I. I will start my chemo Saturday, then total body irradiation, 9 doses between Monday and Friday. I will get the cells Friday afternoon.
The news was delivered by Trisha Doucette, my preferred nurse practitioner here an and a great, consistent and compassionate clinician who also performed the biopsy. She was very glad to give me some good news. Barb was here, too and did a great job of letting Trisha have her moment.
Adding to the good day, Dr. Wexlar acceded to my request and has allowed me off-unit privileges until Friday. I will also be enjoying some off-campus food thanks to Mom and Diane over the next few days.
This is all quite a blessing and I am very grateful for all of these positive developments.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Wow Matt, this is all such AWESOME news!! It's about time :)

Keep on fighting and staying positive!

Love ya, Pam :)

Colleen Crafton said...

Hi Matt!
Finally caught up with your blog! *sorry, life has been a bit crazy* Keep up the great attitude- you guys are in our prayers. Drop us a line when you feel up to it.
Love, Colleen and Don

Unknown said...

Great news Matt. We're thinking of you here at the good ol' QP. Looking forward to playing some golf later this summer.

Bob, Lorrie and the gang.