Saturday, August 05, 2006

Holding on...and liking it

Getting more back to normal here today. Di showed up last night which was a great development. Didn't sleep very well due to being in bed most of the day Friday. I took a more pro-active stance when waking up. When my nurse came in about 8 a.m. I asked her to find out the results of the blood test I took at 5 a.m. As it turns out, my platelets had dipped slightly and white count stayed exactly the same. I got out of bed, and hit the treadmill before breakfast, knowing they'd have to give me platelets and benadryl and hydrocortizone later on, pretty much binding me to my bed for 4-6 hours. Had a really vigorous workout, came back and my breakfast was waiting. Made quick work of the breakfast -- eggs and bacon and english muffins, oh my! -- and called the nurse to tape my dressing up for the shower. Hopped in the shower, cleaned myself up, brushed with the mouth care stuff and got dressed. Wasn't even 10:00 AM yet! Meanwhile, the nurse had re-made my bed with fresh sheets. Still not done, I called the pharmacy about these growth factor shots that, several days ago, were supposed to ship and arrive Friday at All Ready. According to Dad and peggy, they did not arrive at all. The pharmacy that was chosen for me called back, and said that they didn't ship the growth factor shots after all, and we made arrangements for the shots to be delivered here at Roswell Monday, as no one is promising or expecting me to be discharged before then.
After all that, it wasn't even lunchtime! Felt very good to be in charge of my day for a change, getting all the stuff done and out of the way so I could enjoy the platelety comfort of drugs and sleep all afternoon. I will try to repeat the performance in the future.
Dr. Wexlar came in about the same time as my lunch came (again). He basically reiterated the tests: White cells too low, need platelets, no leaving the hospital until counts go up. I had just gotten all the pre-plately drugs, and was pretty hyper actually. Told him that my blurry vision had started again. He said if it persists, another lumbar puncture on monday, this time done in radiology by a pro. Getting these guys trained with the right attitude is a good thing ;-)
It's weird, now that I have no promises or prospects of actually leaving, I feel quite a bit better about being in the hospital. It really would have sucked if they let me out too early, and we had to make the trip all the way back to buffalo. Still annoyed at the doctor for letting the confusion happen in the first place, but I am finally getting over it and getting on with treatment.
Dad came to pick up mom this afternoon and spend a couple of hours visiting. Nice to see him. Had a good time talking shop and catching up on random Binghamtonyness. They seemed sad when they left....
Thanks for reading
Matt

1 comment:

Chris Baker said...

Now that's what I call time management! It definitely gives you peace of mind in the afternoon, knowing you took care of everything in the morn.

I'll be up this week, and looking forward to seeing you, wherever you may be.

Chris B.