Friday, August 18, 2006

Decisions, decisions

Well, the verdict is in. Dr. Baer called wednesday with the results of Monday's bone marrow biopsy. Though the first round of chemo did kill most of the leukemia in my bones, there is a "significant but small" amount of leukemic cells remaining. What this means, Dr. Baer said, is that my cancer is responding to treatment, just not enough. Thus I need a bone marrow transplant. I will go through 1 more round of regular chemotherapy, possibly the one that was scheduled for me next, as the bone marrow team narrows down a match from the 42 possible donors on the bone marrow registry. Dr. Baer isn't sure if I will get this inpatient in the hospital, or outpatient it the clinic. I was supposed to start my next round of chemo on monday, but it looks like that will be delayed at least a week as my counts are kind of low.
After that second round of chemo, they will hopefully ave found a donor for me, and I will be admitted to the hospital and they will start the transplant process with the superstrong BMT chemo. I will emerge 4-6 weeks later with new bone marrow and will stay in buffalo for at least 100 days, and I will fully recover within a year-- or so we hope.
In the meantime I wait. I am feeling OK, have been a little nauseous over the past few days. Got blood yesterday at wilson hospital. A whole lot of it--two bags of red blood cells and a bag of platelets. Ran into meagan mitrus which was kind of nice, and spent most of the day getting all that blood. They ran it really slow compared to how they do things at roswell. Wierd. Also saw Dr. Kahn, who prescribed the blood. He seemed excited to see me, and It was good to see him, but I can totally understand how the doctors at Roswell like to handle everything themselves. A lot can get lost in translation, and there was quite a bit of figuring and re-understanding of the case going on between the instructions from roswell and the prescriptions Dr. Kahn gave out at wilson. Interesting to see going on.
Otherwise, all is well. Looking forward to saturday night, as Di's family and my mom and dad will be coming over for a big dinner. Should be fun!
Hope to talk to you all soon.

Matt

1 comment:

NillaSwirl said...

My daughters have Huntington's Desease...I am also blogging my experiences...I was born and raised in Binghamton, NY...and currently living in AZ. I have you bookmarked.