Friday, August 11, 2006

Hi! My Name is Matt and I am a Starbucks addict


I received certified proof today that I am a starbucks addict in recovery.
My Dad has been driving the Alligator Scion since I started treatment. Every day, he stops at starbucks on the parkway.
Now, if you frequent starbucks, you know the baristas remember you. They especially remember you if you drive a scion with an alligator on each side. So, i had gotten to know everyone there pretty well over the last few months, and they saw me coming.
When dad started to drive the alligator, apparently they asked him where I went. He told them about my ALL and they have been following the blog here.
Today, my dad dropped off the sign I am showing you here. How cool is it that they put that together! And lo, how clear it is that I am a certified starbucks addict?!?!?

Diane and I drove to Syracuse today to visit the CNY Fertility Clinic. There is competing information out there about whether chemo for ALL permanently impedes sperm production. Some say function returns after chemo is complete, others say I will be sterile forever. As Diane and I are certain we want to have our own biological children, we are not leaving it to chance that my "boys" will swim again after I finish treatment. Hence we made our first of at least two trips today. I was impressed by the operation they have up in Syracuse. The waiting room was furnished with more plush furniture than Jon Miselnicky's living room. There was a fireplace, coffee and tea maker, and more people than I've ever seen in any doctor's office. While I was inside for about 20 minutes, Diane said she saw more than 20 people come in and go out. All through the parking lot were nearly new cars, mostly of the exotic imported type. All I kept thinking as I left the place is, gee, did I ever get in the wrong business! No, not really, but judging from the volume of people I bet the doctor who owns the place just about prints money.

On they way back from syracuse my tongue started to get really sore. It has been deteriorating the past couple of days; the doctors didn't write a script for the mouth care products I had been using in the hospital. There was this special mouthwash and a lozenge that helped control and kill any bad bacteria in my mouth. I've been using listerine now that I'm home, but it seemed to really irritate the mouth and not help at all. So I called Dr. Baer's clinic. Thankfully, the nurse in charge quickly got back to me, and they called in a script for the Peridex mouthwash I had been getting in the hospital, and the lozenges that generally calm and sooth my mouth. Di an I went to get them (and ran into kim leonard...Hi Kim!) and as soon as I got home I took the medicine, and Immediately my mouth felt better. Phew. It was really starting to get uncomfortable, and I'm glad I have what I need now.

Well, I'm going to get going now. We're gonna have spaghetti and meatsauce tonight, and I'm getting really hungry, so I'm going to bug Di and see if we can get some yummy eats on the table. OHO! ne more thing. If and when you comment on the blog, can you please leave your email address for me. The comments are forwarded to my gmail account, but if you don't leave your email address, and I don't already have it, I am unable to respond to your posts. Thanks!

No comments: