Monday, February 12, 2007

If I had $1,000,000 and no better way to spend it...


Awhile ago Doug Camin Sent me this link

http://www.nelsap.org/ny/innsbruckusa.html

Apparently in the late sixties some wise person or persons decided it would be a good idea to open a ski area just south of Binghamton. Called Innsbruck USA it's about five miles up Pennsylvania Avenue, and you can see it there off of the road to the right.

I remember talking to John Byce about a year ago and his mentioning that there was this really cool ski area, just south of Binghamton, in the seventies, but it closed. He had regaled me with tales of skiing and parties and general after-work schussing...and, oh well it sounded like a heluva good time.

Man, I can't believe the people in Bingoland let this place go. Given unlimited funds and all my other expenses being paid, I'd love get behind an effort to revive this place. Think of it: instead of heading downtown to the sportsbar, head 10 minutes the other way and get on the T-bar. Sweet! This could work. Of course, I'm not sure I want to bet the mortgage on it, hence my reticence to walk up to Partner's Trust and ask for a loan, but you get the idea. Also, I know nothing about running a ski area, other than I like to ski and I know it requires an "area."

Wonder why the county didn't pick up on this where the former owners left off. I mean, they're backing the En-Joie golf course when Endicott couldn't hack it. Why not skiing? Instead, looks like they just took it back for taxes, made it a public park, and left it to the kind of tree-huggers who hike in the summer, not hug trees in the glades in the winter.
Just isn't fair. So brother, can you spare $1,000,000?

1 comment:

Leann said...

with this kind of heart you can go places guy.check out the whats and hows and you may have a place to ski.someone some place is looking for a ski hill to buy.why not you get in on the action man?I wish I knew who to tell you to talk to but.all that comes to mind is someone high up in the city.whats the snow fall around their.if they have snow machines then its set to go if not they cost money.but if its a good place to ski then it wouldnt be a big problem.is the trails still clear?if not thats another,they would need to be cleared.who knows maybe it would be a good thing to check into.someone will buy it.maybe a little birdie is speaking to you.
I could see your face on the broachers saying come to nuggets ski lodge.ski on the lovely manacered slops.go for it guy what ya got to lose, to just check into it.