Sunday, December 03, 2006

Birthdays with the Kenseys...

In the Kensey Household, we celebrate birthdays the old fashioned way: All at the same time!
Yesterday was my Birthday, Dec. 2. Today is Diane's Birhday, Dec. 3rd. I will reveal that yesterday i turned 28, but due to contractual obligations and the fact that I value my right eye tooth, I will not reveal Diane's age.
We had a nice time on my birthday. Spent most of it just hanging around, but got out of the house in the afternoon to visit Tom's on Main Street. See, a certain printer and lettershop has been bestowed with the honor of printing and mailing the sacred Tom's birthday cards and other such coupons. As loyal Tom's customers, Diane and I receive their regular mailings and the latest one caught our attention. Free coffee always catches our attention!
A full pound of Italian Espresso later -- we wouldn't just take the half pound, I mean, that would be silly and kind of cheap-looking, right? -- we were out of Toms and headed to Manley's to pick up some wingys. Later on that night, we ate a wonderful meal at Sabaidee, a Thai restaurant in Endwell, with my Mom and Dad. Though the service was a bit spotty and the bathrooms were somewhat less than perfectly desireable, we had a nice time. And what was with the fake crabmeat? I mean, does anyone who's actually ever had crabmeat really believe that the fake stuff is even close to the genuine article?

I had some pretty incredible news this week. First the good: Remember L-asparaginase, that chemo drug that gave me hives the size of Volkswagen Beetles? After that episode the Docs decided I wouldn't get that particular drug anymore, for fear of anaphylactic shock. Trouble is, the next round of chemo I am scheduled for requires this drug be given several times. Now, chemo has taken a whole new importance to me, as bone marrow biopsy has been tabled. I remembered someone mentioning this very expensive drug that comes from europe that is an alternative for difficult (you know, petulant or allergic) cases like me. Called Erwinia, the drug wasn't available before, but having a bit of time, I asked the good folks at Roswell to seek approval from my insurance company for the replacement chemo, which I was told costs about $30,000.
The long and she short of it? After several days of waiting and consternation, the Erwinia was approved! I'll be starting it as soon as it is made up and shipped to Buffalo. I was shocked. The people at roswell was shocked. One person there was so sure It would be denied that she bet me her paycheck it wouldn't come through. I forgave the debt for the sake of her two beautiful children and her desire to buy them christmas presents.

From the wierd an annoying department: So, Diane and I trekked up to Roswell Thursday for the startup of the new chemotherapy routine. Much like the old routine (the one I had in the hospital) the new module required a blood test at the outset. They kept me sitting in the chemo clinic a good two hours before a nurse practitioner, Linda, told me that my Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) had dropped to about .75, which is too low to start treatment. ANC is a formula based on the White Blood Cell count as well as some other factors. It was really wierd as my blood levels have been fairly stable for several weeks. Anyway, I was told to go to Broome Oncology Wednesday for bloodwork, and if my WBC levels rise and restore my ANC to a good enough baseline, I would probably start chemo friday the 8th. We'll see.

That's all for now folks...

No comments: