Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Bone marrow update

Well, it looks like the first of three theoretically "perfect matches," for bone marrow donors has backed out. I got a call from Karen Duvell at Roswell yesterday, saying that repepeated attempts to contact the person have failed, and they have moved on to request contact with a second donor. See, what happens is people get their blood tested and sign up for the marrow list and fully intend to give. Years later, their situations may have changed, and for whatever reason they back out. Karen said you'll usually find out for certain at this point, when the transplant hospital requests another blood sample so they can confirm the test. Kind of a bummer, but at least there are two other optimal matches.
Otherwise I am feeling great. I head back to Roswell Wednesday for an L-asparaginase treatment on Monday and Saturday, and I have another apointment with the cardiologist on thursday to get a different medication for my wierd heart problem. The last meds had me breaking out in itchy hives. A little reasearch last night into the L-asparaginase proved interesting. Apparently, normal white blood cells produce this essential protein (don't ask me why it's essential, I don't know. The cancerous lymphoblasts (bad white blood cells) are unable to produce asparagine, and are forced to forage for extra protien floating through the bloodstream L-aspariginase divides these extra proteins into their baser elements and deprives and eventually kills the lymphoblasts, who can't make the protiens they need. Healthy white blood cells are generally unaffected, as they can make their own asparagine. This is a very elegant way of attacking the disease, I think.
Hope all of you are well.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Hay Kensey! I hope you remeber me. I just heard from Maura today who told me what was going on. After a google search I was so excited to find you blog and read it. I'm so sorry that you and your wife have been given this test. I want to let you know you are in my prayers! I would love to hear from you! Email me please!! JCalisi@stny.rr.com

Jenn Calisi AKA Jenn Manning from Seton!